Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Second/third week of teaching

I can't believe that I made it through the second/third week of teaching. I still have a lot to improve with my teaching, but I can feel that I'm gradually settling into some pattern. This might be good and bad at the same time. For one thing I don't want to be so panic and spend hours and hours preparing a one hour lessen. For another I don't want to be content with one certain type of teaching method either.

For my ESL class, it's like an experiment every week. I feel like I have so many ideas about what I can teach, but when it comes to implementing the ideas on the typed-out lessen plan, they all look kinda disoriented and pointless. My Chinese class doesn't take that much planning, for the content and materials are set already. The most challenging part is to come up with some ways to present the content without making them feel bored. It's a 9am class, and I am a student so I understand how hard it is to get your butt moving. I wouldn't want to be there if I were not the teacher!!!!

Things I am working on:
I'm not a very assertive person. I realize that my directions sometimes don't sound assertive enough for students to do their pair work. Another thing is the anxiety of introducing all of the vocabulary to my ESL students. I still haven't quite figured out how to use a reading to teach integrated skills (speaking, reading, and listening).

Things that work/I'm so proud of myself:
Monday I alomst pissed my pants when I found that I left my teaching material on my desk before I left. I was totally panicking for 5 minutes, (I wonder if students ever found out about this). then I decided that I will just give them the scheduled test, and then a task from their workbook.

While the students are working on their workbook, I quickly write out the patterns for drills on the board. It happends that students stumbled on one structure a lot, so I spent sometime making them practice the patterns on the board. and phew...it was the whole 50-min class. I would never let things like this happen again. Double check before you leave is always a safe thing to do.

Today I made my ESL students play a game as an ice breaker. Each person got a name stuck on their back, and they have to find out who that name was by asking other classmates Y/N questions. I had names like Arnold Schwazeneggar, Mother Teresa, Jesus, and Napoleon, etc. The game turned out to be a success. The students really enjoyed it partly because it's really fun to see someone's puzzled face but you already knew the answer.

Anyways, I guess I should stop blogging and go back to my thesis writing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mindy..
你好厲害喔~~~~
yo!!