Sunday, April 16, 2006

Thoughts on using literature in ESL classrooms

References:
Gajdusek, L (1988). "Toward wider use of literature in ESL: How and why." TESOL Quarterly, 22, 227-258.
McKay, L. S. (2001). Literature as content for ESL/EFL. in Celce-Murcia(ed.), Teaching English as a Second of Foreign Language. United States: Dewey Publlishing Services.



I really like Gajdusek's article, which shows how using literature can actually be done in an ESL classroom. For me one of the most impressive take-home that I learned is the pre-reading vocabulary work. I think from a student's perspective, unknown or unfamiliar vocabulary is one source that might cause "anxiety" when reading in a foreign language. Unlike reading in native languages, students don't have linguistic or cultural resource to grasp onto, the tolerance for ambiguities or unresolved meaning is comparatively low. As for the teacher, he/she might get too eager about solving students' vocab problems so that they can get into the deeper discussion. As a result, both sides might lose sight that vocabulary actually has different valences in their function in an article. It's an important thing not just for teachers to distinguish the types of vocabulary (e.g. context, vital clue, and category), but also for students to see these different levels of dealing with unfamiliar words. I think it's a good strategy for students to overcome the anxiety of encountering new words, knowing that they don't have to stop every time and look them up in the dictionary in order to understand a text.

Another take-home message I got from the week is Mckay's perspective on cultural learning through literature. In her perspective, "...the ultimate goal of cultural learning is not to convey information about a culture nor to promote the acquisition of culturally influenced ways of behaving, but rather to help learners see their culture in relation to others so as to promote cross-cultural understanding."

As a non-native Englisn speaker, teaching the target culture is something that brings me anxiety and self-consciousness. If teaching culture means direct transmission, then I am definitely in an awkward position. Since I'm not from the culture, what can I offer to my students? What kinda role should I take in between the target culture and language and the students? As I take the stand with my students as an outsiders, am I perpetuating my perspective/stereotypes on the target culture to my students?

I haven't totally resolved these questions yet. But at least I feel a
little bit relieved after reading Mckay's perspective on developing
students' cultural awareness. It's not about transplanting a culture
into someone's head, but about showing students how their own cultures
can be connected with others by exploring cultures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like these thoughts! And I think you have a unique teaching perspective, as a non-native teaching another culture. When you're on the "outside" just like your students, it's sometimes easier to see details in the target language/culture that a native might not be able to! Your foreign-ness is a value.

And, at least in my opinion, it's sometimes ok to let your own perspective/stereotypes show through to your students. I don't think stereotypes are as bad as people say they are, at least all the time.