Monday, June 12, 2006

Thoughts on grading

The quarter has already come to an end. The class I have been teaching this quarter needs me to put students final grades together. I found that, on their final projects, I tend to give them equally high scores. well, they are not exactly equal on a 10 pint scale. But if convert the grades into letter grades, my students pretty much all get an A or A- on their projects. I was told that I shouldn't do this. I should normalize their performance. But...this is a language class. It's not a right or wrong test either. I watch students perform and give a speech using vocabulary and structures they have learned throughout the quarter. Then I assign a grade to their performance.

There're so many factors that can affect the results of language learning. For example, motivations, age of exposure, and perhaps more psychological factors such as working memory, language aptitude, etc. It's really subjective for me to make judgment on their performance as a test evaluator. Of course objectively, I can tell which students have better pronunciation, more vocabulary, better grammar than others. But then the test should play a role in evaluating the effectiveness of my teaching. Some students are speakers of Cantonese, or have had schooling or exposure to Mandarin. If they correctly used a sentence pattern that's obviously beyond what's been covered throughout the course, should I give them better credit for that? What about students who have no prior exposure to Chinese before, but try hard to master the content that I have taught them-How should I recognize this part of their effort?

I want to encourage both types of students in terms of their work. But this is hard. Unlike English, if you teach in an EFL environment, you will have a class of students who share the same linguistic background, with similar exposure (more or less) to English. You won't have "heritage" English language learners in class. If you do, they will be superior on tests, and tests will be the only assessment tool.


Here in a Chinese as Foreign Language classroom setting, you have a mix of students with heritage, asian language speakers, and speakers of other languages. In a college setting, students level vary in class. Some students just couldn't read and write, but fluent in speaking. Althought sometimes they can be put under heritage track, some heritage learners with sufficient language skills might be placed in a class with other non-heritage learners, whether by accident or on purpose.

I do find this situation very troublesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

我的英文課即將於6月21日結束
照例
老師要給成績並個別會談
我已經擔心一個星期了
周老師
我該怎麼辦呢呢呢呢呢

TazoChai said...

妳是不是擔心金凱瑞老師太帥了,跟他單獨在一起會緊張到臉紅啊,喔呵呵呵呵呵呵~~~~

其實妳應該高興這個課沒有成績壓力,也不用擔心評分不公之類的問題。像我也覺得應該把學生找來談談他們的進步啊…可是他們只要成績,才不在乎這些東西咧。老師也很怕他們跑來要分數。